Hannah’s Delicious Sour Cherry Soup
Hannah’s Sour Cherry Soup
This is the basic recipe I used but I did a few things differently just for kicks. I added 2 cinnamon sticks, some cloves, and traded half of the sour cream for heavy whipping cream. The reason I added these items is because I like to have this as a dessert, not a main course or appetizer. Just make sure you don’t use canned cherry pie filling!
2 24 ounce jars of sour cherry compote
1 24 ounce jar of sour cherries in rum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cinnamon sticks
2-4 cloves in a tea ball
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup flour
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
If desired- 1 packet of vanilla pudding (follow instructions before adding)*** I did not add this in.
• Drain cherries from cherry juice
• Put cherry juice in large pot and bring to boil (if cherry juice is not about 1 quart, add water)
• Add cherries, cinnamon sticks, cloves, sugar, and salt.
• Allow that to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until cherries are nice and soft.
• Whisk together the water and flour, and then slowly mix into the soup.
• Temper the egg yolks- slowly (a tablespoon at a time) add some of the hot soup to the yolks and whisk!
do this until you have about 2 cups (ish) of mixture. Then slowly add that to your soup, mixing the
• Simmer that for about 4 minutes, stirring the whole time.
• Remove the soup from heat.
• Combine the sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla, and then temper that as you did the egg yolks.
• Slowly add the mixture to the soup, stirring constantly.
• If you wish, you can make some vanilla pudding and add it into the soup now.
• You can either enjoy it warm or chilled. My mom put some of it on vanilla ice cream!
CLICK HERE to see the recipe that I tweaked. I think they did a great job with the instructions!
If you make yours differently, let us know what you do! It is fun to see the many variations that families have!
Magyar Marketing is a second-generation family business that began in 1988. Our mission is to provide you with resources and encouragement to discover, celebrate, and share your Hungarian heritage with friends and family! To receive our free product catalog or learn about our tours to Hungary and Transylvania, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-786-7851.